Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Some movie stars wear their sunglasses even in church. They're afraid God might recognize them and ask for autographs. -Fred Allen


Sunglasses are an accessory that no girl should be without...at any time. Not only are they extremely fun to pick out (oh my god the variety!!) but they also do a damn good job at covering up faces without make up. For those of you that don't know me, I'm a huge wear-your-makeup-at-all-times advocate. But, for those days where you really do sprint out of the house without doing your makeup, just to run a quick errand (because there really is no other excuse for no makeup besides that, in my mind), make sure you have your sunglasses! My suggestion-buy one nice pair and 2 or 3 cheap, trendy pairs. * I emphasize the combo of trendy and cheap a lot because there is nothing worse then spending a fortune on something that goes out of style a month after the big purchase. *

I keep one cheap pair of glasses in my car and one in my bag at all times. I'm very scatter brained and very forgetful-I am definitely the person that switches bags and doesn't remember to transfer key items, ie. wallet, sunglasses, make up- ugh! So that's why the car pair is so key!

Okay so onto my picks for glasses. This is so extremely hard because everyone has such a drastic difference in face shape, so I'll give a variety.

Aviators:
Try the new Ray-Ban line. They have a ton of different colors and work really well with skinnier faces and smaller cheeks. The glasses give you a cool look without trying too hard. Ray-Ban has so many options and colors I think it would be best for you to take it upon yourself and look online at Bloomingdales, they have a great selection.

Another way to go with Aviators is vintage. ASK YOUR PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS, you would have no idea how cool their glasses can be. Also, flea markets & thrift stores always have cool, unique ones. But, if you're skeeved out by wearing someone else's hand me downs, go to www.urbanoutfitters.com, wow (See purple ones above, $16). They always have great, funky aviators. Beware though, they're inexpensive and great, but the quality is not top notch.




Now, if you want to go nicer & pricier Marc by Marc Jacobs (one of my absolute favorite designers) makes a really amazing thin-rimmed frame. See below (picture
courtesy of www.bloomingdales.com) These have a more serious tone and are a more classic, you-can-wear-them-everyday feel. They're $95 but definitely worth the splurge. They've got the quality of the higher-end Marc Jacobs label without the price tag.

Now my favorite!! The oversize sunglasses!!!
These are the besttttt for covering up the no-make up face and they really do add the wow/glamour factor to any single outfit. I feel like they also look good on both round and long faces! I suggest doing this in a more demure color, think black or tortoise shell. They were brought into fashion by Jackie O and are still as hot as ever. Again, these have such a range in price that you absolutely do not have to spend a ton of money. I bought my favorite pair at H&M for under $15 (see photo below). I mean come on, at that price, you can buy a couple! Just be a little careful with them because they're not the best quality.
















If you have the bucks and are willing to spend some serious $$$ go by a nice Dior pair, see glasses to the right. Although these will be expensive, they are super classy and will be a great investment. If you're nervous about spending money on an item that you classify as "at the moment trendy" remember that fashion is very regenerative, so it IS sometimes good to splurge, because eventually they will come back in style. One thing that makes these glasses classy and NOT tacky is because the side is not bejeweled or too ornate, it's pretty simple! The second you get one of those diamondy, I bought these for a kabillion dollars look, you're going to get sick of them asap and never want to wear them again! So if you're going to buy expensive, make it a classier look. PLEASE NOTE, Meghan had JUST woken up from a night of partying (Killers Concert at Mohegan Sun) and was completely tired and hungover...would you have known that without me mentioning...NO! Why? Because of those great, huge, blockers of the puffy hangover eyes, sunglasses she's wearing...she looks fab!

So, my bottom line is that sunglasses are A. a necessity in every girl's wardrobe, B. there are so so so so so many options that you really don't have to pay a fortune unless you've got the moola and C. NOOOO ornate side features, it's just unnecessary and will get old too quickly. Now go out and buy a couple pairs before all the good ones are gone ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment