Wednesday, June 10, 2009

You want style? Come and get it... (CLOSET WORKSHOP)

There is nothing more fun than dressing someone else.  It's like playing with Barbie all over again, except this time you can actually imagine the places these outfits will travel to-work, a date, shopping with the girls, etc.

My first style assignment: Dress my friend only using her clothes, and nothing else.  An outfit for date night, an outfit for work, and an outfit for shopping & lunch with the girls. Luckily, I love her style so it was a rather easy first assignment.  If you're bored one day I suggest doing this with your friends.  Even though she had all the clothes in her room, these outfits had never been put together before.  So, it pays to get someone else's opinion...there's some saying for that but I'm drawing a blank.

Date Night:
I actually found this dress for Allison at Target. It's their Mossimo brand and was on sale for under $30-what a steal! The safari style is perfect for summer; the colors are light and fun, and the actual dress is short and flirty without giving off the slut vibe.  We found her shoes at Zara (before the assignment), they were $95. They're comfortable and definitely a key item for spring to summer wardrobe.  The belt was purchased at Zoya in White Plains, NY and the clutch is obviously Tory Burch.  Although I'm not a Tory advocate, it works well with the outfit. Mixing one statement piece (the dress) with solid accessories (shoes, bags, and clutch) works perfectly.  Sometimes people are hesitant to mix browns but I am all about it as long as there is only one brown with a design.

Lunch & shopping with the girls:
You always want to look nice when you're with the girls...we're the ones who actually care.  For this outfit I went for relaxed and colorful.  Jean shorts just make every outfit, you can do soooooo much with them.  For this, I put her Seven shorts (cut from jeans!!!) with a big sunshine-yellow James Perse tank.  To make it pop, I added the scarf (Elizabeth Gillet, $60).  The fuchsia contrasted with the yellow is AA and the gray matched perfectly with the shorts. The belt is the same one as above and since it was a day outfit, I went for her new gold sandals (works perfectly because of the gold threading in the scarf) from Urban Outfitters (less than $30), instead of heels.  Her bag is from Forever 21 and under $30. The glasses are Spitfire ($35) from Plaza Too in Bronxville, NY.  The outfit is extremely affordable and I'm sure none of you would have guessed some of the items were so reasonably priced.  A tip: mix cheap with expensive...never do all of one at once, it never seems to achieve the right balance!


And the dreaded work outfit:
If it were up to me you'd be allowed to wear what you want at work.  I always hated my internships because I looked like a 50 year old woman shoved into a 19 year old body.  Luckily, I've found myself in post-college jobs that allow me to dress however I want!!  So, I'm doing this for all of you ;)   The outfit I put on Allison is a little risky but if you're in the right industry, it should be fine.  Now, this outfit also proves that I was honest and did not go out and buy anything (or borrow it from someone else) because I really wanted a black summer blazer to put with it and make it a little more work appropriate.  Soooo, you will all have to use your imaginations.  The skirt is DVF and was purchased at her annual summer sample sale!!! The blank tank top can be any stretchy and silky one you own.  Just make sure it's not cotton!  As for the scarf, we couldn't figure out where she bought that one-oops, but you can really use any scarf as long as it matches the shoes!! The shoes...they reallllly make the outfit and tie everything together, they're the statement piece.  They are leopard Betta Carrano flats, pricey, but worth it.  Take the (imaginary) blazer off, tie the scarf tighter, trade the flats for heels and ta-da! You've got an outfit that you can wear straight to those much needed post-work cocktails :)

1 comment: